Herbarium: 26100 specimens
The herbarium was founded by Sir Thomas Hanbury in the nineties of the nineteenth century when the Garden, created since 1867, was already a reality. The inauguration of the place with a library and an herbarium took place in September 1892 (see. Berger, 1912). It improved in the following years thanks to the work of Gustave Cronemeyer, Kurt Dinter and especially Alwin Berger.
Thomas Hanbury built an edifice, the Casa Rustica, intended to accommodate, among other things, the herbarium, which was seriously damaged during World War II. Along the following years the lack of care damaged the collections; later, after 1987 with the passage of the Gardens at the University of Genoa, it was provided a general reorganization at the original site.